Take The Road Without Getting Lost With The Best Compass Watch
As you trek uphill what is easier –checking your wrist watch or reaching out for your smartphone? All guide books and experienced explorers will tell you, a compass is your only friend in the outdoors. The smartphone and GPS are dependent on satellite and charge and can let you down when you need it the most. Thankfully, with advancements in technology, you can now wear your compass on your wrist – we are talking about the best compass watches that everyone who loves the outdoors must wear always.
Out of the multitude of compass watches choosing the most apt companion can be difficult and not simple as ABC. This guide attempts to make the selection process simple and easy to follow.
Types of Compass watches
Compass watches are basically of three types.
- Digital: Like your regular digital watch, this product is easy to read. The margin of error in this compass is 10 degrees. It is not necessary that a digital watch comes with a digital compass though.
- Analog: Though these are the traditional hard -to-read versions, the compass is more accurate in these models and the discrepancy is down to 1-2 degree at most.
- Multifunction: Probably a more practical solution when you need your hands-free always in the outdoors, multifunction watches come with additional features besides the compass. They show the altitude, temperature, pressure. Some even have tracking programs and storage memory.
Tips to buy a compass watch
Each of these variants has its own benefits and drawbacks. Hence, the main things that you must take care of when purchasing a compass watch are:
- Lightweight: Wearing a watch must not become an uncomfortable burden; choose a model that is lightweight and easy to wear.
- Durability: The very purpose of a compass is to guide you when lost; a poor quality cheap compass watch is not reliable. Always opt for quality and durability; the watch must be able to withstand the rough exteriors and the harsh weather conditions.
- Waterproof: When you are outdoors, the weather can be very unpredictable; a sudden downpour will not harm your watch and the compass within if it is waterproof.
- Accuracy: There is always a margin of error especially in digital models. You must know the degree of variance in your product before you venture out.
- Ease to read: If you are in a dire situation you can’t spend precious seconds trying to decipher the compass. It should be easy to read. In case you plan to use it at night you can opt for an LCD light in the watch.
Here is a review of 8 of the best compass watches that we think any explorer and nature lover should possess especially when they want to take the road less traveled.
[Editor Top Pick]
The PAG240-1CR from Cassio is a multifunction sports watch that leads the way should you need it. One of the most reputed names in the industry, Casio Pathfinder is a perfect blend of quality and style. Filled with all high-end specifications, this is probably one of the best compass watches and can be yours if you purchase it.
Never fear the battery dying on you again; this model is powered by the eternal Sun. The watch can run for six whole months without sunlight once it is fully charged.
A Complete package
This gadget has everything that can be of any assistance to you when the sky is the roof and the ground the floor. Altimeter, barometer, thermometer, world time zones, stopwatch, alarms and the list continues are all present in this multifunction watch.
Built to last
This fine piece is crafted from 51 mm stainless steel which is corrosion resistant and can withstand the vagrant weather. The dial is made of mineral glass, a scratch resistant material commonly used in watches. Overall the watch has been constructed to last a long time and bear the wear and tear of outdoor life.
- 51 mm stainless steel case
- Mineral glass dial
- Solar powered
- Can resist temperatures in the range of -10 C to 14 F
- 1/100 second stopwatch
- Fitted with barometer, altimeter, thermometer
- Displays city codes
- Calendar pre-programmed till 2099
- Suitable for low light conditions due to the presence of the after-glow backlight
- Resistant to water up to 100 meters
If cost is not a constraint then this PAG2401CR from Casio is a great addition to your outdoor gear. It is a multifunction watch with several useful features; quality craftsmanship makes this piece worth every penny spent on it.
2- Timex Intelligent Quartz Tide Temp Compass Watch
A trendy masculine looking IQ compass watch from Timex impresses at first sight. Attractive looks, durable build makes it a key accessory for the man who likes to be active and is very sporty.
The contrast of the white and red hands in a black background is striking and very attractive. The matte finish and the silicone strap which is nice and broad at 16mm completes the masculine look.
Night or day it doesn’t really matter
This versatile watch can be used as effectively at night as in the daytime due to the Indiglo feature where the entire dial gets illuminated by the touch of a button.
The watch besides showing the direction will keep you informed about the pressure and the temperature of the surrounding water and air. The unique feature of this Timex is that you can track the tides with the tide tracker and avoid the high tide and venture out in the low tide.
- Analog quartz watch with even the compass and thermometer showing analog readings
- Indiglo feature facilitates night vision
- Glass dial made of mineral crystal
- 16 mm silicone strap with buckle clasp
- The bezel is two directional
- 45-mm black ion coated stainless steel case
- water resistant to 100 meters.
An expensive analog watch that stands up to the test of time. Fashion fuses with functionality in this Men’s compass watch from Timex. It is a good value for money – accurate, precise and reliable. The only hitch in this piece is that it needs getting used to – there are so many hands that it can be confusing initially till you know to distinguish between the compass and the watch hands.
3- Pyle Digital Multifunction Sports Watch
The Makers have taken their time to craft this watch. Be it the mountains or a sea coast this watch will dutifully guide you in the right direction besides providing information on the temperature, altitude, and pressure.
The next time you plan an expedition you don’t need to pack several gadgets, just this one watch from Pyle will do. You can check the altitude, pressure, day, date, and several more. It also provides the weather forecast of a place.
When you choose this watch, you will be heartened to know that this watch has weathered the EL Nino storms; that speaks volumes about the quality and durability of the product. The Pyle can face storms, hot tubs, salt water and even some mud baths and come out unscathed.
- Backlight present
- Weather forecast indicators
- Altimeter, Chronograph, barometer and thermometer present
- Built in digital calendar
- You can retrieve data about altitude and temperature up to 34 hours.
A multifunction sports watch that is affordable and functional. It has a diameter of 2 inches and is one of the largest watches in the list.
4- Timex Men’s Expedition Field Chronograph Watch
The name of the model suggests that it is built to combat harsh weather conditions and unfriendly atmosphere. One of the most accurate compasses in watches, you will be delighted with this less than remarkable looking watch.
Ask anyone and you will receive the same reply that the Timex Expedition is one tough cookie. No matter how you treat it, this toughie will surprise you with its resilience. It can withstand wear and tear and the vagaries of nature.
The high-quality resin case makes this watch lightweight but at the same time very durable and strong. The buckle closure strap ensures that the watch stays put and doesn’t move.
Low light visibility
Poor light conditions and even the dark will have no effect on the visibility thanks to the Indiglo night light which illuminates the dial at night.
- Indiglo backlight
- Resin case
- Meets ISO standards for shock resistance
- Water resistant up to 200 m.
You can safely call the Timex Expedition an all rounder – the best compass watch that one must possess. It is tough, durable, lightweight with a remarkable performance.it is suited for all outdoor activities like scuba diving, kayaking, and any other adventure sports.
5- Casio Men’s SGW100B-3V Digital Compass Twin-Sensor Sport Watch
Some of the finest watches of all times have been manufactured by Casio. The SGW100B is another watch that has been crafted using cutting edge technology. It has all the right features and nothing fancy. It looks nice on the wrist and feels light on the pocket too.
The watch dial is made of mineral crystals which are known to resist scratches.
Go ahead and don’t think twice before plunging into the pool or swimming in the sea, this watch is resistant to 200 meters of water.
- Quartz battery
- Mineral crystal dial
- Water resistant up to 200 meters
- Sturdy and durable resin case
A sturdy well-crafted compass watch from a brand you can trust. There are no fancy features but all the basic features required to ease any outdoor adventure are present.
6- Suunto M-9 Wrist Compass
[Best compass watch for the price]
Nothing like the rest of the pack in the list, this diminutive, and different compass watch is economical first and foremost. Secondly, it is not a boring bulky black but a nice white analog watch that you will fall in love with.
Lightweight yet durable
The casing is made of lightweight plastic but that doesn’t make the product fragile. In fact, it is one of the hardiest watches that you will come across. The Velcro strap also doesn’t add to the weight either. It is a tad long but nothing that can’t be fixed with some trimming.
Easy to use
There are two sighting notches that can be adjusted to get accurate direction. This can be troublesome if you are wearing gloves to protect your hands but the serrated bezel ring makes the whole process a breeze.
- Two zone system
- Serrated bezel
- Adjust direction using the ratchet mechanism
- Plastic casing
- Velcro strap.
If you want something on a shoestring budget that is reliable accurate and lightweight do not hesitate to buy this compass watch from amazon.
7- LAD WEATHER Heart Rate Monitor Altimeter Barometer Compass
Say goodbye to the boring blacks and embrace any other vibrant color of your choice. Displaying fine German craftsmanship, this sports watch is a complete package. You can use for running, walking, climbing.
The reading starts from zero, therefore, you need not reset the value or recalculate the exact height each time you start a climb and the need for a reference guide. The altimeter also records a session for later reference.
Altimeter, barometer, and compass are crucial for any outdoor expedition. You can seamlessly switch between these functions and be prepared for any change in weather conditions. The barometer reads the change in pressure and forewarns about any impending storm thereby ensuring that you take precautions and stay safe.
- ABC present
- Thermometer can be calibrated into Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Chronograph can measure up to 10 laps
- Dual time mode, alarm, backlight are other features.
The watch is best suited for runners. The alarm ensures that you never miss a training session while the other features make sure that you stay on track.
8- La Crosse Technology XG-55 Digital Altimeter/Compass Watch
For all your outdoor adventures check out the La Crosse which has all the necessary Jing bangs that modern-day sports watches do.
The watch is designed to withstand bumps and falls and other untoward incidents without any major impact.
If you use it while training trust it to keep the record for you while you focus on improving with each lap. It has a memory of 100 laps.
- ABC and chronograph modes present
- 100 lap memory function
- Backlight available
- Countdown timer exists
- Is resistant to water for 30 feet.
A reliable reasonably priced sports watch that is not the best compass watch on this list but is one of the most reliable and durable sports watches around.
The market is flooded with compass watches of all kinds. Do not be enamored by the many unnecessary fancy features. Choose a model that addresses your basic need and research in depth about it. Never forget to read the instruction manual for any product you pick because not reading is a common mistake many users make and then blame a product for poor performance.